Love+Warmth+Fashion


Three things matter most to me when it comes to crocheting:

{ Love. Warmth. Fashion. }

I hope to make you feel loved, I aim to make something that is warm and I strive to make it fashionable.
__________________________

Button Up.

02 February 2014


This time around, I want to introduce you to one of my favorite crochet pattern finds! The lovely Stephanie from allaboutami.com created this cozy number. I've been following Stephanie since I started this crochet adventure and a few weeks before Christmas 2013, I discovered her pattern. Since I needed to make a few presents, I decided to give it a try!


The results were perfect! I loved the length, the style, the easy customization, how it looked, how it felt and, of course, it was so warm! I was really excited to use a button that I bought from Supplies Sundries on EtsyWell, let's get started!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Materials Used //

  • Super Chunky Yarn // I prefer Lion Brand Hometown USA | You'll need approx. 100-150 yards of yarn.
  • N // 10mm crochet hook
  • 1 Extra Large Wooden Button // Approx. 2" or 45 - 51 mm // Supplies Sundries
  • Yarn Needle

Pattern Thoughts // For the complete pattern, please visit allaboutami.com.


The pattern is fairly simple.

ONE.  You start out the usual way by chaining 48 but the problem with that is that when you go back to double crochet (dc) your way across the row, the chain beneath serves as a very flimsy foundation.

OPTION 1 // I restarted the pattern and began with a Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) OR try Foundation Double Crochet (FDC) ( What's that?! )| This is just chunkier and you will need to smooth it out afterwards |. 

OPTION 2 // You can also choose to begin with a row of chains and when you go back to dc your shells, crochet into the BACK of the chain -- NOT the bottom or the top. The BACK. Flip your chain over and you'll see it.

TWO.  If you'd like to add some length to the neckwarmer, the formula is as follows //

8 x ___ = Amount of stitches. ___ / 8 = Amount of shells.

Basically, if you want to add length, you must crochet chains in multiples of 8.

Chaining 48 ( as the patterns calls for ) will get you 12 shells | 8 x 6 = 48 |. Crocheting 56 will get you 14 shells... and so on.

I chose to make mine using 18 shells | 72 ch // 8x2 |. I began my FDC // normal chain and just measured it by looping it around my neck to check the size.

THREE. Follow the rest of the pattern as explained on allaboutami.com.














You can easily add extra rows as you go to make it wider. Just keep checking it around your neck.













Keep in mind that adding more rows will cause the neckwarmer to start folding over around your neck and under your chin line. It can be cute but also can be overdone. { see image }

FOUR. Finish off. Weave in those pesky ends. 

FIVE. Attach your oversized button! 

It doesn't matter what side you sew the button onto because the neckwarmer can be flipped to meet the needs of a right-hand dominant or a left-hand dominant. 

On one project, I sewed the button in the middle of the neckwarmer close to the edge. On the second, I sewed the button toward the edge {flat edge) of the scarf so that when it buttoned, the neckwarmer laid more to the side. {see image}


Enjoy! Don't forget to like and share this with your friends! Oh, and visit Allaboutami.com and give her some love! 





- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
© Amanda Lanae Waugh 2013 - 2014 All photographs taken by Stephen Rothrock and/or Amanda Waugh. Please do not copy or use without permission. All patterns are copyrighted under their original owner. Please give credit where credit it due.

Disclaimer: If you like my work/comments on a particular pattern and wish to share or use it, please credit it me and comment below. My original patterns are free to use unless stated otherwise; however, I only ask that you credit myself. Please do not sell my patterns, but you are encouraged to sell or gift garments made from the pattern. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment