Love+Warmth+Fashion


Three things matter most to me when it comes to crocheting:

{ Love. Warmth. Fashion. }

I hope to make you feel loved, I aim to make something that is warm and I strive to make it fashionable.
__________________________

Chunky Cowl.

28 December 2013

When I first started crocheting fun things to wear other than headbands, I found a lovely blog by an Amigurumi fanatic named Stephanie. If you didn't already know, Amigurumi is the art of knitting/crocheting stuffed animals founded in the Japanese culture. On top of her love for crocheting cute little animals, Stephanie also crafts patterns for scarves, cowls, neck warmers, mug cozies, etc. My very first cowl was created using her Chunky Double Crochet Cowl pattern. (Scroll to the bottom for my Pattern Thoughts)

Black Chunky Double Crochet Cowl //


Materials Used //



  • Lion Brand's Hometown USA® Yarn in Oakland Black
  • Size K // 6.50 mm crochet hook
  • 4 silver pearl buttons from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store (plastic)
  • Yarn needle






Now, the biggest problem with the first cowl I made is that it is a tad small and doesn't lay exactly like hers does but I still like it. In fact, I liked the pattern enough that I made one more as a gift. 

Blue Chunky Double Crochet Cowl //

Materials I used //

  • Lion Brand's Hometown USA Yarn in Detroit Blue
  • Size P // 10 mm crochet hook
  • 45 mm // Approx. 2" dark wooden button {purchased on Etsy.com}
  • Yarn needle








I did, however, change a few things about the pattern.

My Pattern Thoughts //

ONEI started the pattern like normal but added two rows of single crochets on top of the chain before I began using double crochets.

TWO. I also ended the pattern with two rows of double crochets and decreased stitched A LOT. I didn't want a gaping hole at the end.

THREE. I also added a large 45 mm (about 2 inches) wooden button for decoration and to help with the gaping hole. Buttoning one side to the other helped keep in the heat. The button, sewed to the left side of the cowl,  fit right through the gaps created by the pattern.

FOUR. When I made the black cowl, I chose NOT to crochet it in a round. Instead, I sewed the ends together and added four buttons for decoration.


Let me know how it goes! 




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
© Amanda Lanae Waugh 2013 - 2014 All photographs taken by Stephen Rothrock and/or Amanda Waugh. Please do not copy or use without permission. All patterns are copyrighted under their original owner. Please give credit where credit it due.

Disclaimer: If you like my work/comments on a particular pattern and wish to share or use it, please credit it me and comment below. My original patterns are free to use unless stated otherwise; however, I only ask that you credit myself. Please do not sell my patterns, but you are encouraged to sell or gift garments made from the pattern. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment